Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Holiday Tradition and A Christmas Miracle

My Dad's family is Swedish. Well, really my grandpa was Swedish and he liked to coerce everyone into believing that we were all 100% from the Swed-land. Despite being English, my grandma played the part of a Swedish homemaker quite well. This included the making of the traditional meals and sweets.

When my grandmother died, I took it upon myself to take her recipe (and her famous yellow bread bowl) to recreate my favorite sweet each year for my family. I mean black labs. I mean I eat it all myself, don't judge it's tradition.

I'm not going to give you the recipe because it's a family secret. Really it's not, I'm just too lazy to go and get it right now. So just behold my photos and try and figure out the recipe yourself from the pics, it's a fun game!

Swedish Coffee Bread:


So, start with these ingredients. It requires many bowls. In one there are some eggs, in the second there 
is some rapid rise yeast yeasting away and in the third there is some scalded milk (whatever that means) and a lot of butter. 


Then mix up the dry stuff, you know, flour and sugar and the like. 


This is the secret ingredient. Mmmm cardamom, smell the Swedish culture. 


Mix it all together in your grandmothers yellow bowl. Yes, this is a key ingredient. 


Flour a bread board and knead dough. This is the most fun part. Caution, flour your hands
or they will stick. 


Put kneaded dough back in greased bowl. 


Cover with towel and let sit until it rises to double its size. 


Voila!


Split into three pieces, and then those into three pieces and make little rolls for braiding. 


Braid into loaves with love.


Bake and then brush with butter. 


When cool, drizzle with powder sugar/milk mixture and decorate with cherries. I'm pretty sure that's how they did it back in the old country. 

Don't worry, I didn't eat all three loaves myself. I gifted two. Nothing says Merry Christmas like fresh bread baked with love. 

I worked on the 23rd and the 24th and when I got home on Christmas Eve a Christmas Miracle happened! My mom! She drove all the way from Chicago to spend Christmas at my house while I worked. I love her so much. We had a great time. The best Christmas gift ever. 

Happy New Years Eve! I will be breaking my tradition of going to bed at 9pm in order to feast with family. And I'm also planning on winning the power ball. A few hours of lost sleep is worth a million bucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment