Thursday, December 15, 2011

Adventures in Dating: The Blind Date

Dating is perhaps the most torturous right of passage into adulthood. It's awkward, it's embarrassing and it's painful. I think I'd rather be squeezed through the birth canal again twice over to get out of going through it. Oh, was that an awkward and inappropriate analogy? Everyone at work keeps telling me to suck it up and enjoy the free meals. But you know what, that's only because they are all either married or have been dating the same guy since they were five. Single people back me up on this, dating is miserable.

The only thing worse than dating is blind dating. I've been on more than a handful of these over the last year and several more recently and it's gotten to the point that I'm not even nervous anymore. It is what it is and that's all I can do. I still struggle with how much of myself to reveal on a blind date, it's a fine line. It's not like you can say, "Oh hey, I got to bed a nine pm and sweat pants are my favorite variety of pants." You have to leave some of those secrets for later, if you want a second date.

First comes the praying, "Please let him be at least as tall as me, please let him have all his teeth." Then there comes a lot of smiling, a lot of pretending to smile, awkward laughter and ever more awkward silences. Then at the end it's like, oh let me split the check, oh okay if you insist. Ugh....

Perhaps my problem is my pessimistic attitude towards it. Or perhaps the problem is that I haven't found the right one. Maybe then the silence will be comfortable instead of awkward and the laughter will be genuine. Only one way to find out, keep going. Either that or face the reality and truly become an awkward dog lady. And so the adventures continue......

No comments:

Post a Comment