Sunday, May 8, 2011

What day is today? Today is Mothers Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all you mother's out there!

It's on days like these that I especially miss my mother. I miss her every day but the last few weeks it's grown into a longing. I long for my mother to be up the street so I can walk my doggies up and just say, "Hey!" I long for her to come over and scold me for eating macaroni and cheese everyday, and then give me a wonderful cooking lesson. Mother's are emotional business. Cherish yours if you live close to her and if not, let her know that you long for her too. 

On another note:
I may not be a mother to any human variety of children but I do have something, or rather someone: Eunice.

Meet Eunice. She is my approximately 8 year old lab (give or take five years??) from animal haven. She was found as a stray and then she found my heart. I was visiting animal haven to sign up to be a volunteer when BAM! Like a paintball on your shin she hit me. There she was, sitting in the cold, shivering with her big brown eyes staring up at me saying, "Save me Lady."And so I did. 

Whether it's because she was mom less for who knows how long on the streets or because that's just her I don't know but she is definitely a momma's girl. She follows me everywhere, whining incessantly when I shut her out of the bathroom door so I can pee. Refusing to let me pet or give any attention whatsoever to any other animal, including her brother Scout (poor scoutie, more to come on him later). And the worst part is when I lay down to take a nap and she insists on sitting at the foot of bed whining at me to get up and play with her. I know she's saying, "Mom!! You're so lazy get out of bed its 2:00 in the afternoon!!" And all I want to say is:



Why is it that dogs lay around and nap all day so long as you're up and doing things around the house. But the minute you lay down and the house goes quiet, they're on high alert. Like wait a minute, we can't both be sleeping at the same time! I must annoy the crap out of you until you get back to being a productive member of society. Scout is of course the exception to this rule, that boy loves a nap.  I find myself trying to trick her into thinking I'm awake and doing things by having the TV on. Usually this works for a good five minutes before she's on to me and the whining continues. 

Despite all that I love her. All 65lbs of poop eating, scoutie humping and momma lovin of her. 

Yes, her scarf says "I love my mom." And no she's not dead, she's sunbathing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment