Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Breathe In Breathe Out

I got back from Montana early early this morning. More on that later. I somehow got a cold while I was there, maybe because their weather was AMAZING and fallish unlike this hellish humidity going on here at home.

Regardless, I spent most of my day in bed trying to recover, much to Eunice's dismay. I got out of bed tonight to support a coworker who lost a son last week. A beautiful service in which many people stood up and said beautiful things about this young man. The words his mother, father and siblings spoke will stick with me for a long while. His younger brother said something (well a lot of things) worth repeating. He wanted to make sure we all knew and remembered not to take things for granted. That as soon as you think you don't need someone or something, that God will prove you wrong. Strong words with big meaning coming from a very strong young man.

On my way home while I was trying to breathe in and breathe out through my tears and stuffy nose, I reached for one of my favorite songs. Matt Kearny I love you. Thank you for reminding me to do something so simple yet often times not so easy.

I was reminded during the service as I am many times during the day of my sister, and something that she read aloud at my grandmother's funeral. Something I've referred back to many times, using it as a sort of motto or hope for my life. Hope in the sense that someday at my celebration of life, I hope that there will be someone who thinks that this story reflects my life as well. Peace and tears tonight.


The Starfish Story

Original Story by: Loren Eisley

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. 
Approaching the boy, he asked, What are you doing?
The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don't throw them back, they'll die."
"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!"
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the
 man, he said,
"I made a difference for that one."

1 comment:

  1. that was a very sweet post. hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete