Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Preparing for the BAM

I've been people watching. Watching people in my life and people not in my life (there was a particular sob story on the Today Show this morning that I'm referring too here....) hit bottom. Knowing that at any minute I too could hit bottom. I watch as my friends seek God out in their time of need and then I take a step back and wonder if I would be able to come up for air if placed in their position.

Right now, in my life the answer to that is a no. I'm stumbling in my walk with God. Wondering why it takes a major life crisis to stop and notice. I've been slacking on my devotionals only to open up today's to see the words "Make me your focal point." Why should I make God my focal point when I feel happy, when things are going well. I don't need God. I'll just continue on my merry way until BAM God knocks me down and says, "Don't think you need me? I'll show you."

Well I'm trying to stand up and take notice before the BAM comes. It will, it always does. It would behove (this is an awesome word) me to strengthen my relationship with God before it does but it's so easy to forget about the one who has given you everything when things are okay. Not until things turn to shit do we take notice.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this except that it's on my mind and in my heart. I'm requiring daily reminders to make God my focal point and idol. To praise and thank Him on the God days, not just ask for help on the bad days. I'm working on my communication with others but perhaps if I worked first on my communication with God with rest would follow suit. Who knew learning to talk would be so hard.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Do it. Pre-emptive strikes are better. I have found that writing a Bible verse from my morning study on a notecard and carrying it around all day is really great. Eventually I want to be able to journal on that same verse at night, and how it affected my day. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it all starts with God. when we find our identity, everything else falls into place. even communication. or especially communication?

    ReplyDelete